Sunday, June 10, 2012

Its the Final Countdown!

5 Days With Kids.  I'm exhausted just thinking about it.  They were crazy last week and I can't imagine what they are going to be like on Monday :/  I just have to keep reminding myself how much I love them....right!?

I have a lot to do this week:

  • Have students make parent thank you cards
  • Finish my part of the classroom compliment project (more on this later in the week when I have pictures!)
  • Complete reading portfolios (a cute idea I found on Pinterest...pictures to come when they are all done)
  • Make up vocabulary sheets for reading choice study
  • Make up direction sheet for non fiction choice study
  • Clean out lockers, book bins, and folder bins
  • Plan the LAST DAY with my teaching partner
  • Grade final writing assessment (I HATE grading these and always leave it until the last minute)
  • Take text book inventory
  • pack everything in the room on my shelves with wheels because they "might be painting" this summer.
  • And report cards are due Monday. 
See!?!?!  I'm tired just thinking about it all and I'm sure I forgot something.

So to tied you all over until I get pictures of my end of the year projects here is a cute simple project I did with my 2nd graders a few weeks ago.

In third grade students are expected to write summaries for almost all their quarterly reading assessments and they are also a part of DRA2.  So I have been working with my 2nd graders are identifying literacy elements.  This weeks focus was problem and solution.

First the kids buddy read the story The Enormous Carrot




Then they had to identify the main characters, setting, the problem, and state how the characters solved it.  Then we made these cute carrots.  We put the problem on the carrots top because that was the part that was sticking out during the story and "if they didn't see the top they wouldn't know they had a problem"-they can be so smart when they want.  Then we put the solution on the carrot because "they couldn't get the carrot out until they solved the problem"-see just genius

The kids still refer to the problem as the top and the solution as the carrot

These boys were hard at work...at my desk..hey, whatever it takes to get them to focus is my motto.



Well hopefully I will be back with some pictures of our end of the year activities....if I survive :)

4 comments:

  1. This is such a cute activity! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the carrots! I'm so doing those with that book for my gardening unit next year! Thanks for the great idea! I'm your new follower, by the way.
    Ann
    The Caffeinated Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Ann . . . those carrots are so stinkin' cute. And, they hit up a very important standard too! I am "pinning" ya for next year. Glad I found you today :)

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  4. THanks Everyone I'm glad you likes it.

    Thanks Kelley! Your my first pin!

    ReplyDelete