Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Reading Portfolios Part 2

So I'm back to show you the 2nd grade version.

As I said before the 2nd graders I have are mostly Title 1.  So we all did the same book for our project. I used it more for them to demonstrate the skills we had been working on.  Check out my last post to get all the templates I used.  Also, as I mentioned in that post I precut and folded ALL the pieces  the kids just glued them, and only one students had a complete disaster!!  (side note:  Don't use bottled glue for this with 2nd graders.....it got very messy despite an impromptu lesson on how to glue)

the parts that 2nd graders had to do

  • Before and middle of reading predictions
  • front cover picture
  • problem and solution
  • connections
  • favorite part
  • setting
  • main character
  • They did not do a back project (however next time I would give this option to some of my higher 2nd graders)

First we previewed the book and made predictions about what would happen
Then we choral read the first half and made our middle of the book predictions (I'm trying to encourage active reading)


We also drew our pictures on the front and wrote our title and author



That was all we had time for on Day 1

Day 2

Students read the book with a buddy.  They they filled out their problem and solution along with the main character.  This lead to quite the debate if the main character was Miss Nelson or Miss Swamp.


Day 3

Students read the book independently (if they need to).  They then filled out their connections, main character, setting, and they favorite part.


Sorry I don't have more pictures.  I ran out of time.  The kids were very proud of their work and I had many parents say how much they loved seeing all the skills we had been working on displayed in one place.






5 comments:

  1. Cute idea! I'm a 2nd grade teacher and I'm always glad to find new blogs. Welcome to the blogging world. It's so much FUN!!!

    Cynthia
    2nd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award!

    Stop by to claim your award.

    Patti
    On The Road To Success

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, I'm your newest follower. Please check out my blog if you have time. Calling Plays in the 2nd grade.

    Shanell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, I'm your newest follower. Please check out my blog if you have time. Calling Plays in the 2nd grade.

    Shanell

    ReplyDelete